Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Didn't watch it

I DVR'd the speech intending to watch it when I made it home from the office. I bailed on it, I expected him to deliver a good speech and by most accounts he did. I'm tired of speeches followed by silence from The White House for weeks at a time while the Senate proceeds to continually fuck things up.

I don't think the administration's fate is yet sealed but Obama and Congressional Dems need to start turning things around immediately. That means Obama using the bully pulpit to draw attention to Senate obstructionism. That means Reid and Pelosi delivering on healthcare. That means shit-canning Tim Geithner. That means telling Chris Dodd that he's not going to kill banking reform as a going away present to Wall Street.

In other words, it's time for Congressional Dems and The White House to get it together. If they don't there's no telling when even a moderately liberal agenda will be viable again - it could easily be a decade or more.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I like that you use the term, "Bully Pulpit." I've read a few books on Teddy Roosevelt and am now reading my favorite to-date, "Big Burn" by Timothy Egan. The strength Roosevelt used against big business/big money in politics is inspiring.

Reading this book while viewing the current state of political affairs has been quite disheartening. It's made me feel:

A) The Supreme Court's recent decision that will allow more corporate monies to flow into Washington means nothing. This is how it's been; this is how it will be.

B) I've begun to lean heavily toward a growing populous that see very little difference between the modern-day Republican and Democratic parties.

On a somewhat related note, rest in peace Howard Zinn.