Friday, December 25, 2009

Merry Christmas to all

I hope that wherever you are and whomever you are with you're enjoying your holiday and your friends and family.

I got engaged this week and we snuck up to the mountains to spend a few days with some of her family in Vail. It's been a great few days. A welcome respite from real life, a chance to appreciate all that we have and reflect on another year nearly passed.

I would be remiss if I didn't return the Holiday wishes that Sir Charles sent out yesterday. Sir Charles is one of those bloggers who I constantly return to for inspiration. We seem to have some personal and professional similarities making his posts especially poignant for me.

I've always thought that Andrew Oh-Willeke is more than just a smart guy and prolific blogger but a writer with real talent. His Christmas post yesterday is proof positive of that talent.

I heard this morning some sad news, that singer-songwriter Vic Chesnutt is in a coma after a suicide attempt. May Vic find the peace that he so desperately seeks and may his friends and family find solace in each other and in Vic's incredible life.

Not exactly Christmas music but here's a beautiful cover a Vic song... "Expiration Day"


I'm a machinist at the Springfield armory
Just slightly ahead of my time
But I don't make much money
So I sell eggs and chickens on the side



I'm good at what I do
And I take great pride
But I don't make much money
So I sell eggs and chickens on the side



And my wife does love me
But she can't realize
Why I won't go back down south
And leave the armory behind



But I love my job
I'll shave metal until I die
And until I do, I'll take on
Any extra thing it takes to provide



And I know it'll kill me
Breathing all those fumes
But I'd sooner sniff solution
Than a baker's dozen hothouse blooms



And my wife does love me
But she can't realize
Why I won't go back down south
And leave the armory behind



But I feel it is important
What I do upon my lathe
I pledge to do the detail work
Until my expiration day
Until my expiration day
Until my expiration day
Until my expiration day

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Steve,

Thanks for the kind words and congratulations on your engagement.

Happy New Year to you and your betrothed.

Andrew Oh-Willeke said...

Congratulations on your engagement.