Tuesday, December 9, 2008

Bennett for Secretary of Education?

Pols points us to this story in the Rocky Mountain News,

The Newsweek columnist who broke the story of Barack Obama's presidential bid is betting on Denver Public Schools Superintendent Michael Bennet as the next U.S. secretary of education.

"I have my money on Bennet," Jonathan Alter writes in the soon-to-be-printed Dec. 15 issue.

The others on Alter's short list are Chicago Public Schools Superintendent Arne Duncan and Paul Vallas, head of New Orleans' public schools.

The usually accessible Bennet is being coy about the column. He declined to comment directly...


Just this weekend I had two friends at my house who work in education. I asked them their opinion* of Bennett because, in my opinion, he's a brilliant man. I've had the opportunity to work with and meet lots of bigger name politicians and none has impressed me more than Michael Bennett. I've often told people that I thought he should run for Congress and should be a United States Senator. I hope that this is story is true.


*I think I could sum their opinions as positive but given that DPS has so far to go it's difficult to draw hard and fast conclusions about him.

No comments: