Thursday, September 18, 2008

SPO Endorsement: Progressive Book Club

Some months back I joined the Progressive Book Club. I'm a voracious reader (though I'm currently plodding along thanks to it being campaign season) and their introductory rate and program were (and still are) too good to pass up. You can choose any 3 books from their catalog for $1/piece plus shipping and then you're on the hook for 4 more books in the next 2 years. The nice thing is they offer many sales and discounts off the cover price so it's not as if you're obligated to pay out the nose for those 4 books, in fact you can get some really good deals. They also donate a few dollars from every order to a progressive cause of your choice. It's a good deal all the way around. 

My first 3 books arrived with no issues. Some time later I attempted to place an order for 3 more books and my order was inexplicably declined. Odd I thought and I re-enetred my information and tried to order again. Rejected again. Very odd. It was brought to my attention that occasionaly online ordering systems choke on debit cards and switching to a credit card should solve my issue. I did just that, placed an order and then... nothing. Nearly 2 weeks passed and the order still displayed as "Pending." 

I sent a polite but firm email to customer service and recieved a response quickly. I won't go into all the details but suffice it to say there were some technical issues on their end. Besides addressing those issues so that my original order could be completed they also offered me two books of my choosing for free to make up for all of the ordering aggravation. That's above and beyond anything I would have expected and it took no prodding from me, no arguing, no angry emails. That's quality customer service in my opinion. 

I wanted to make sure that folks had heard about the PBC and to share my positive experiences with them. It's a first class organization in my experience and one that I hope more folks will support. 

No comments: