Thursday, September 11, 2008

Shopping liberally

I was out today and, coffee addict that I am, decided to stop by Michaelangelo's on Broadway for a cup. Now I've had mixed experiences at M's - bad coffee (and I don't order anything other than plain old coffee) and sort of blah service. Today as I walked up the owner was out front chit-chatting with a customer on the patio. I went inside and noticed a tip jar that read along the lines of "Your server Michael appreciates the tips." Huh? The owner is Michael, is he really fishing for tips? Weird. I stood at the counter and stood a bit longer. Several minutes passed before the nice woman in the back realized that I was standing there and she politely informed me that she would be with me in just a second. "No problem," I said and I turned to check out the store.

That's when I saw it.

Hanging in the window was a campaign sign for "Doc" Miller - Republican candidate for HD2. Challenger to Mark Ferandino.

That's when I walked out. As I left the owner, still sitting on his butt while a line of customers formed inside, said "Thanks" and I politely informed him that I was leaving and didn't spend a dime while pointing to his Miller sign.

Maybe I was just cranky because of the poor service but it was good to know where the owner of the store stood politically. Now I know and now I'll make sure I don't stop in there again.

No comments: