Wednesday, March 19, 2008

March 19th

This is such a heavy day in so many ways. So heavy in fact I went to church this morning, an act generally reserved for Christmas Eve and only in that case to make Mom happy.

On the same day that George W. Bush launched the longest declared war in U.S. history I lost my beloved Grandma Diffenauer. She died during a terrible Denver blizzard so I couldn't even make the flight home for her funeral, the airport was closed. She was a proud Irish-Catholic Democrat. I don't think I realized it when I was younger but I got my love of politics from my Grandma. Given her political leanings it was only fitting that she left us on the same day that the bombs started to fall on Baghdad.

I am always thankful though that she made it through one last St. Patrick's Day.

No comments: